Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wok this way.....

After the stuffed green pepper debacle last night I have to admit I was a bit nervous about trying Pad Thai. But here is my thought, I love it so much that I might as well try to learn how to make it.....even if it goes horribly wrong at least I will know what NOT to do the next time. Find the sample recipe I used here. Now I will mention that finding the ingredients in the store was a bit of a hot mess for me. I was in good ol' Harris Teeter for what felt like a small lifetime. Long enough that in the middle I bought a chai tea latte at the front of the store and used that little cup holder that is on the buggy--I always wanted to do that! The death of me was the tamarind paste.....so I gave up and took the easy way out and purchased a pre made deal. It was good. Here is a pic:
Pretty yummy sauce and really saves money and time....and in my case sanity.
Now the noodles are a bit crazy. This was probably about half my chai tea right here...picking out the noodles. I mean it is called Rice Sticks...are you rice or are you a noodle?
Just bring a large pot of water to a boil. Put the noodles in for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.

Then, decide if you want to it to be vegetarian or if you want to add chicken or shrimp. I still have a minor intimidation factor with cooking meat so vegetarian it is!
You can really choose to add tofu and other veggies but we went with a shallot, 3 cloves of garlic and later added bean sprouts.
Get the wok really hot and then add one tablespoon of vegetable oil. Then add two eggs.
Scramble it up and then set the egg aside.
Okay then add 2 more tablespoons of vegetable oil. I should point out that I am a teeny bit nervous around the hot wok/oil since I have set two scarves on fire so I called NT in to do the wokking.
Saute the shallots and garlic (and meat if you are using it) for just a couple of minutes.
Then add your rice noodles. Add either your homemade sauce or if you are a wimp like me...use your handy dandy pre-made sauce. We then added salt, pepper, chili powder and hot sauce. Keep sauteing the ingredients together. At this point things are smelling really yummy and I realize hey this isn't too hard....(especially because NT is doing all the work and I am just taking pictures like a fool) That being said, it is pretty funny taking pictures for the blog while cooking. Since I am new to this blog concept, I forget to take pictures of key steps and then I also think "how funny that I am taking five pictures of chopped garlic"
Anywho, after you have stirred in the sauce add your eggs back in and then add the bean sprouts.
Complete the dish with chopped peanuts and a lime (which I forgot to buy--great.... I spent an hour in the grocery store and forgot the peanuts and ended up with a premade sauce). But it was indeed very yummy and we will make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment